Monday 25 June 2007

A simple summer meal


I came up with this simple recipe to use my fresh basil. Kind of reminds me of that old student standby - pasta with tomato sauce. Throw in a few mushrooms for nutrition etc. This is the grown up version!
Serves 2
As much garlic as you like (at least 2 cloves; I use 5) - smashed and chopped
Half a finely chopped onion
2 large flavorful juicy tomatoes (I like to use vine-ripened) - chopped
Pasta shapes of your choice ( I used mini penne)
6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
fresh parmesan or grand padano cheese, shredded
*Optional - I threw in some raw peeled prawns to smarten the dish up. You can throw in other stuff like some sliced mushrooms!*
1. Cook your pasta with a little olive oil and salt in the water.
2. In another pan, saute the garlic and onions for 2 minutes. Then, add the chopped fresh tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and stir in the fresh basil before serving.
3. Mix the sauce with your pasta. Top with parmesan or grand padano cheese.
*Interesting taste variation - add in a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for more acidity*

No comments: