Friday 29 August 2014

Green tea Everything - Hong Kong version

I previously wrote about my love for green tea and all its permutations in the world of desserts. It was bliss for my taste buds to find stunning matcha lattes and cakes in Seoul. Seems like most people in Asia feel the same way as I also found some incredible matcha treats in Hong Kong. Let's start with this matcha green tea pudding available from Patisserie Yamakawa.

Power matcha
The pudding provides an unassuming first impression - simply encased in a small plastic container with the name of the Patisserie in gold font. One small spoonful though and your mouth is filled with smooth pudding texture, bursting with matcha bitterness. You don't need a lot to feel totally sated with an intense matcha high. I loved this one! Patisserie Yamakawa products can be found in the Citysuper branches in Hong Kong.

At Sushi Kuu in Central, a work colleague and I finished off an excellent sushi set lunch with two impeccable desserts - their signature Hokkaido milk pannacotta as well as a green tea pudding. Both were beautifully presented.

Desserts at Sushi Kuu

 Walking around Sha tin, Paul and I found a plethora of matcha dessert treats. Or rather I led Paul on a hunt for green tea treats. Found in Citysuper - this ice cream float was green tea soft-serve ice cream in a hot cup of green tea!

Green tea hot and cold sensation

In Sha Tin New Town Plaza, we stumbled across the aptly-named Maccha House which specializes completely in all things green-tea flavored. This exciting dessert was made up of Japanese pancake filled with mochi, vanilla and green tea ice cream, decorated with green tea sweet syrup. It was delicious!

Green tea sugar heaven
We also enjoyed an iced matcha shake with whipped cream and a dusting of chocolate.

Green tea brain freeze

Asia truly is a place where I can indulge my green tea taste buds. Unfortunately, Boston does not offer much in this department - perhaps I need to start making my own?






No comments: