Tuesday 21 January 2014

Green Tea Everything

I love green tea. I drink so much of the stuff (easily 5-8 cups a day), a Chinese doctor told me to cut down! One look at my tongue and they told me to switch to black tea (too much green tea over-cools the body and dampens the digestive fire). It's not the same though -- the slight bitterness of green tea is what I crave and matcha is the ultimate fix. Needless to say, my love for green tea extends to green tea lattes, green tea cakes, green tea ice cream, green tea Kit-kats....

In February this year, the siblings had planned to reunite as a family in Hong Kong. I couldn't resist the chance to revisit Seoul - for the food, cosmetics, shopping and to be in the place I have seen so much of from k-dramas! It was a bonus to discover Seoul did not lack in the green tea department.

On our first day of vacation, we discovered O'Sulloc tea house in Insadong- a modern three-storey building dedicated to tea. On the ground floor, they sold teas in various forms - all beautifully packaged while green tea leaves roasted in a huge cauldron by the entrance. The cafĂ© was on the second floor -- with a tea-heavy menu and enticing display of cakes and pastries . The top floor was  quieter with a more exclusive setting for private parties and VIPs. The whole building exuded a calm zen-like ambience.

Paul and I both had the hazelnut caramel green tea latte with green tea cheesecake - which was about $11 a person. Note that in Korea, this could have bought a whole meal e.g. a bibimbap with all the side dishes. Although pricey, both were incredible. The green tea cheesecake had a generous dusting of matcha powder on top which provided some bitter to counter the sweet.

The hazelnut caramel green tea latte
Green tea cheesecake with matcha powder dusting

Throughout the next 5 days, I couldn't resist any tea house I saw during our shopping excursions. At a sweet waffle and patbingsoo house in Samcheongdong, my green tea latte came resplendent with a foam bunny.

Green tea latte art

We visited other O'sulloc branches in Myeongdong and Hongdae - at the Hongdae branch, Paul got his usual hazelnut caramel green tea latte but I got a regular matcha latte. We enjoyed two roll cakes - one was green tea, the other earl grey. No prizes for guessing which one I liked the most!



Green tea drinks and roll cakes


 

No comments: