Monday 18 November 2013

Daily breakfast in Singapore

The joys of being in Asia! Why stick to bagels and yogurt when you can have noodles in broth for breakfast? And being in Singapore, the local broth variations presented comforting laksa, mee siam and mee rebus.

For one week in November while on a work trip, I skipped the overpriced hotel breakfast and found Toastbox - a local chain serving affordable breakfast to the local office crowd. Toastbox has a pleasing European-style décor, shabby chic with a white-washed color palette. However, the menu is local Singapore style! While you could  have toast including the local specialty Kaya Toast (toast with very sweet coconut jam and butter), it was the presence of laksa, mee siam and mee rebus on the menu that had me salivating. Although, I'm sure there are better versions of these dishes at the hawker stalls, you can't beat Toastbox for convenience as many are located in the shopping malls and office buildings.

Each morning, I tried something different. The mee rebus on my first morning was incredible. Coming from chilly Boston, my body was hardly adapting to humid and hot Singapore. And tackling a spicy mee rebus - let's just say I kicked my sweat pores into working overtime.

One morning, I tried the kaya toast - it was way too sweet for me. Another morning, I tried a variation whereby you dipped it in the soft boiled egg. I loved the laksa - the chefs had thoughtfully used "Mee Tai Bak" or silver needle noodles in the laksa which minimizes the chance of stains on your clothes through noodle-slurping.

These Singapore breakfast staples sure puts my usual greek yogurt breakfast to shame!


Mee rebus - spicy and sweet yellow egg noodles with fried shallots, cilantro, firm tofu, egg, green chillies, beansprouts and lime wedge.
Gorgeous seafood curry laksa - with tofu puffs, egg, shrimp, fish cake and silver needle noodles (mee tai bak)


Mee siam - spicy, sweet and tangy rice vermicelli with egg, chives, beansprouts and lime wedges.



Kaya Toast - way too sweet for me. You can also dip it in the soft boiled egg.


No comments: