Thursday 19 January 2012

Ippudo, New York (2nd entry!)








Couldn't resist blogging about Ippudo again. I was thinking whether I would give Momofuku ramen a try but better to stick with the tried and tested with Rach in town. This time, to ensure we did not have to wait, Rach and I were outside the door at 10.45am, getting in the way of the wait staff, trying to clock in before their shift time begins. Success! When they opened their doors at 11am, we were the very first customers and offered pride of place at the communal table round the hearth. Aside from the prerequisite pork buns, we had the Akamaru Modern ramen (my favorite ramen dish on their menu) plus the spicy one which was very good as well. For those that know me, you will know that I am also a big fan of dishware china so Ippudo's bar decor (pictured) certainly caught my eye. Lots of nice touches in the restaurant from the "I love ramen" t-shirts on the wait staff in the Star Spangled colors of red, white and blue to the downstairs window where you can see the ramen-making machine as you walk to the restrooms. Don't miss Ippudo next time you are in New York! Only their ramen broth is at the level that I enjoyed in Japan...no place in Boston comes close in my opinion. Other places in New York? I'm open to suggestions...









No comments: